You are not a member of this wiki.
Northwest Scanner Guide
Pages and Files
Mult Fire EMS
Mult Law Enforcement
Wash Fire EMS
Wash Law Enforcement
Add "All Pages"
Mult Fire EMS
Multnomah County Fire & EMS Guide
Portland Fire Bureau, Gresham Fire & Emergency Services, American Medical Response, Port of Portland Fire, Multnomah County Rural Fire Protection Districts (Corbett and Sauvie Island).
Fire & EMS units are identified by a unit type and a unit number (station number for fire units).
Unit types are as follows:
- Fire apparatus with onboard water supply, 3 to 4 crew. Most common.
Portland Fire Bureau Engine 4 (image from
- Fire apparatus without onboard water supply, larger than an engine, with ladders and tools.
Portland Fire Bureau Truck 4 (image from
- Specialty fire apparatus with heavy/special rescue equipment onboard. Only one in Multnomah Co., PFB Squad 1.
- Ambulance-style fire apparatus, generally used for medical responses or extra personnel.
- AMR paramedic ambulance.
- Battalion chief, usually identified as "C[number]" on radio.
Unit numbers are as follows:
Fire units are designated by station number (i.e., Truck 1 is from Station 1). Every station has at least an engine.
Portland Fire Bureau
- Downtown Core - 55 SW Ash Street
Engine 1 / Truck 1 / Squad 1 / Dive Van 1 / Trench Van 1 / C102/103/104/etc
- Parkrose/Portland Airport - 4800 NE 122nd Avenue
Engine 2 / Truck 2
- Northwest Pearl District - 1715 NW Johnson Street
Engine 3 / Truck 3
- Portland State University - 511 SW College Street
Engine 4 / Truck 4
- Hillsdale - 1505 SW DeWitt Street
- NW Industrial - 3660 NW Front Avenue
Engine 6 / Fireboat 6 / Rescue Boat 6
- Mill Park - 1500 SE 122nd Avenue (ex-41)
Engine 7 / Truck 7 / Rescue 7 / HazMat 7 / Decon 7 / C3
- Kenton - 7134 N Maryland Avenue
- Hawthorne - 1706 SE 39th Avenue
- Burlingame - 451 SW Taylors Ferry Road
Engine 10 / Water Tender 10 / Air Unit 10
- Lents - 5707 SE 92nd Avenue
- Sumner - 8645 NE Sandy Blvd.
- Lloyd Center - 926 NE Wiedler Street
Engine 13 / Truck 13
- Vernon - 1905 NE Killingsworth Street
- Southwest Hills - 1920 SW Spring
- Sylvan - 1715 SW Skyline
Engine 16 / Urban Interface 16
- Hayden Island - 848 N Tomahawk Drive
Engine 17 / Fireboat 17 / Rescue Boat 17
- Multnomah Village - 8720 SW 30th Avenue
Engine 18 / Brush 18
- Mt. Tabor - 7301 E Burnside Street
- Sellwood/Moreland - 2235 SE Bybee Street
Engine 20 / Urban Interface 20
- St. Johns - 7205 N Alta Street
Engine 22 / Truck 22 / Brush 22 / Utility 22 / Rescue Boat 22 / ATVs
- Lower Eastside - 2915 SE 13th Place
Engine 23 / C4
- Swan Island - 4515 N Maryland
Engine 24 / Squad 24 / C2
- Woodstock - 5211 SE Mall Street
Engine 25 / Truck 25
- University of Portland - 5247 N Lombard Street
Engine 26 / Air Unit 8
- Rose City - 5540 NE Sandy Boulevard
Engine 28 / Air Unit 28
- Gilbert Fire Station - 13310 SE Foster Road (ex-42)
Engine 29 / Brush 29
- Gateway - 13313 NE San Rafeal Street
Engine 43 / Brush 43
Portland Fire Bureau-Gresham Fire & Emergency Services Joint Stations
Station 45 - Rockwood - 1927 SE 174th Street
Station 45 is right at the boundary between Portland and Gresham, and is staffed under an agreement between the two agencies. A Gresham engine staffs the station January through May, and a Portland engine staffs the station June through December.
Gresham Fire & Emergency Services
- City Hall - 1331 NW Eastman Parkway
- East Gresham - 500 NE Kane Road
- Southwest Gresham - 2301 SW Pleasant View Road
- Northwest Gresham - 1520 NE 192nd Ave
- Northeast Gresham - 600 Cherry Park Road
- Southeast Gresham - 7144 SE 302nd Ave
Multnomah County Rural Fire Protection District #30 - Sauvie Island
- Sauvie Island
Total Sauvie Island apparatus: 3 Engines, 2 Water Tenders, 1 Brush Truck, 1 Rescue
Multnomah County Rural Fire Protection District #14 - Corbett
Station 62 - Corbett
Station 61 - Springdale
Station 63 - Aims
Total Corbett apparatus: 3 Engines, 2 Water Tenders, 2 Brush Trucks, 1 Rescue, 1 Squad & 1 Boat (raft).
Port of Portland
Station 800 - Portland Airport
C800 - Command Vehicle
Truck 811 / 815 / 816 / 817 / 818 - Crash Rescue Trucks
Boat 860 - Rescue Boat
Rescue 880 - ALS Rescue
Squad 881 - MCI Response Vehicle
Engine 890 - Structural engine
American Medical Response
AMR medic units run from 301 to 337. 200-series AMR units are Clackamas County; some can be shifted into Multnomah County as system levels require. 340-series AMR units are BLS ambulances that do not respond to 911 calls. 350-series are Critical Care Transport units. 390-series AMR units are supervisors. Medic 1000 is AMR's bariatric (obese patient) unit.
Fire responses are dispatched descriptively; e.g., "house fire," "water problem," "wires down."
EMS responses are dispatched with type codes after dispatcher triage. The type codes consist of two letters (the type) followed by a number (the priority). Occasionally the number will be followed by a modifier.
( adapted from
and other sources)
- Abdominal Complaints
- Allergies / Hives / Medicine Reaction
- Animal Bites
- Assault / Rape / GSW / Stabbing
AS3 - any simple assualt
AS1 - shooting, stabbing, or rape
- Behavior Problem
- Back Pain
- Breathing Difficulties / Choking
BU3 only (?)
- Chest Pains / Heart Problem / Heart Attack
- Diabetic Problem
EL3 only (?)
- Eye Problems
- Fall - No longer used, coded as TR3
- Hot / Cold
- Inhalation Poisoning / HazMat Incident
- unknown if used, never heard
- Man Down
No longer used
- Pregnancy / Childbirth / Miscarriage
- Overdose / Poisoning / Ingestion
- Sick Person / Chronic Illness
- Seizure / Convulsions
- Traffic Accident
TA1 - Traffic accident with injuries
TA1R - Rollover accident
TA1P - Pin-in accident (additional resources dispatched)
- Traumatic Injury, Specific / Industrial/Machinery Accident
TR1 - Serious traumatic injury (fall from building, crushed by machinery)
TR3 - Minor traumatic injury (fall from standing,
- Taser Deployment
TZ3 - Tasered subject
- Unknown Problem
- Unconscious / Fainting
UN1 - Unconscious, not breathing or abnormal breathing
UN3 - Unconscious, breathing normally
- Code 3 Fire / Code 3 EMS
- Code 3 Fire / Code 3 EMS
- No fire / Code 3 EMS (usually for responses to locations with a doctor on-scene)
- No fire / Code 1 EMS
- Fire only to check (can be code 1 or code 3)
The distinction between an XX1 and XX3 response seems somewhat arbitrary. Generally XX1 calls are more serious, but in many cases a type code will only be dispatched as XX1 or XX3. For example, one will only hear CH1, BR1, and TA1 calls, and likewise only AB3 and SK3 calls. Notable distinctions between XX1 and XX3 calls:
UN3 is an unconscious w/o other problems. UN1 is an unconscious/not breathing (this is how cardiac arrest calls come out).
AS3 is a general assualt. AS1 is a shooting, stabbing, or rape.
TR3 is a traumatic injury to a non-critical area. TR1 is critical area or multi-system trauma.
Drowning in the river
Traffic accident with patients pinned inside vehicle
A Portland box alarm consists of: 4 engines, 1 or 2 trucks, the squad (sometimes), and 2 chiefs. Variations are usually between commercial (more responders) and residential (fewer responders). Medic units do not respond standard on a box (unlike TVF&R, for example).
A standard EMS run is an ambulance and a fire unit (engine, truck, squad, or rescue).
A TA1 Pin-in or Rollover is an ambulance, two engines, a truck, and a chief.
A river incident is a complex dispatch. Usually the closest engine and truck respond, plus Squad 1 and Dive Van 1, a chief, and an ambulance. In addition, engine and truck companies from around the city with on-duty divers will respond.
The Multnomah County Fire Dispatch talkgroup (commonly known as "Tapout") is used only for dispatches and for units to place themselves back in-service. All responses work on one of the Ops talkgroups. They are utilized as follows:
- All EMS runs and minor/routine fire calls (anything with only one or two units responding)
- Second channel for fires in Portland.
- First channel for fires in Portland.
- Fires in Gresham.
- Corbett, Sauvie Island, and river rescue incidents.
- Major MVAs.
Higher-numbered Ops talkgroups are used for training.
help on how to format text
Turn off "Getting Started"